I am struggling to understand what makes Hollander’s smart
decline theory “foundational.” He chooses
as his paper scope “shrinking cities”, i.e. those cities whose population has
been in decline for more than two years.
He takes issue with previous depopulation theories which stress either,
A) the organic grassroots process of reinvestment and rebuilding by local community
members, or B) the top-down process of investment that governments employ to “inject”
new life into a declining area. He
argues there is a sweet-spot in the middle that harnesses both governmental
programs and community efforts to manage depopulation.
Hollander’s foundational theory is, briefly, that multiple
stakeholders must be engaged in a politically-transparent process to manage
decline. Tell me something I don’t
know. He then leaps from this conclusion
to assert that “neighborhoods can have more green space, streets can be less
congested, more food can be locally produced,” etc. (pg. 363). My belief is that this theory paper has
ignored the tangible outcomes to focus on fantastical process. I believe a more useful framework for
designing “smart decline” strategies is established by Fainstein, whose
outcome-oriented approach demands, “just distribution, justly arrived at” (pg.
357).
No comments:
Post a Comment